If you are trying to choose between Klaviyo vs Mailchimp to grow your Shopify store, then this may be the most important review you read today.
Email marketing is an effective and powerful way to attract traffic to Shopify stores, build customer relationships, and make sales.
However, before reaping the benefits, you need to choose the right e-commerce email marketing software. With so many options available, it can become overwhelming.
First of all, I want to say that Klaviyo is an all-in-one platform.
With Klaviyo, you can get automated, regular email campaigns, behavioral pop-ups to collect potential customers, registration forms, dynamic coupon integration, shopping cart abandonment, browsing abandonment, personalized content, advanced analysis, unlimited A/ B test, transaction email.
Yes, all of these are in one package. You will benefit from all these features at an affordable monthly price.
Successful email marketing requires the right tools, and there are multiple email marketing options for beginners to consider. MailChimp is one of the most well-known names, but there are other possibilities.
Klaviyo is another popular email marketing solution that provides you with various functions. Let’s see how MailChimp and Klaviyo compare, and which might be better for your business.
Traditionally, Mailchimp is for anyone who wants to send general news emails or collect emails through a simple registration form. Recently, they have shifted their focus to online retailers by adding more automation technologies for e-commerce.
Klaviyo focuses on eCommerce email marketing marketers by providing functions to send newsletter emails, trigger one-to-one emails, and use registration forms to collect emails.
Klaviyo vs Mailchimp Key Differences
Both MailChimp and Klaviyo provide different ways to get support when needed.
MailChimp provides email, phone, and ticket support, as well as training on how to use its tools.
Klaviyo supports email and phone calls support but does not use the ticketing system.
However, Klaviyo will provide real-time support, so you can get support online immediately without having to wait for a call or reply to an email.
- Klaviyo mainly integrates with platforms such as Magento, Shopify, and WooCommerce, so it mainly provides services for e-commerce stores.
- Klaviyo also uses custom websites to integrate with B2C and B2B companies.
- Mailchimp is a cloud-based email marketing solutions that can help companies of all sizes design, automate, and manage marketing activities across various email platforms and advertising channels through a unified dashboard.
- MailChimp is a good email marketing solution tool for any startups. However, if you want other solutions with some different functions, you can consider Klaviyo.
- Both Klaviyo and Mailchimp have pre-built segments and multivariate tests. Both are very convenient to get the most benefit from your campaign.
- Klaviyo provides unique coupon codes that you can apply to emails to provide customers with personalized discounts. The platform also provides other segmentation options. Coupling these functions is very useful for attracting repeat customers. In addition, with advanced pop-up tools, Klaviyo can more easily capture more potential customers.
- Klaviyo also has “stock” automation, so your customers always know when they can buy the products they need. This saves you the trouble of segmenting your audience by a single product.
- Mailchimp also has integrated templates for Google, Facebook, and Instagram ads, so you don’t need to use multiple platforms to create ads and then place ads for your e-commerce store.
- Among these additional features, Klaviyo’s coupon codes and inventory automation features are more specific and powerful for e-commerce emails, although in some cases Mailchimp’s non-email features will come in handy.
Klaviyo is very suitable for e-commerce sites and is also an ideal choice for Shopify. Klaviyo also integrates with other platforms such as BigCommerce.
It is most suitable for companies that already have a mission, vision, customer base, well-designed website, pay for traffic (via FB/Google or other sources), and are willing to implement best practice designs for their emails and emails.
For beginners, it is a bit expensive, but it can be used by beginners because it is very easy to get around. It is not a good CRM for other industries such as coaching. It works but it is not recommended.
MailChimp is widely popular for its easy to understand interface and affordable price options.
Klaviyo vs Mailchimp Segmentation
Segmentation is one of the most critical tools any marketer needs to figure out their ESP.
Sending the right emails at the right time to the right individuals at the right time is a crucial aspect that can provide a strong customer journey while avoiding unsubscriptions.
Mailchimp’s segmentation options are quite limited, allowing users to organize the list based on their behavior and interaction with your email marketing.
Mailchimp segmentation is done by list. In other words, if you want to create a segment that says everyone who buys X product, it will only show you the people who were on the list when the segment was created.
On the other hand, if you do the same thing in Klaviyo, it will extract information from everyone in your account, and it doesn’t care which list that person is on.
Mailchimp segmentation is based on lists. Klaviyo segmentation is global for each account.
Klaviyo has more reliable segmentation comparing “Mailchimp vs”, and your imagination is the only limit to creating segments because you can create any segment you want based on the information you have in Klaviyo.
Mailchimp has some features that Klaviyo does not. Those features are landing pages and postcards. For the landing page, you have to pay extra if you plan to use a custom domain or it will show Mailchimp’s.
In Klaviyo, for example, you need third party integration to have the ability to create a landing page. Some of them are CartHook Integration, Convertful Integration, Justuno Integration, Leadpages Integration, and more.
Both platforms are marketing automation tools, so this is an important criterion for analysis.
Mailchimp provides reliable, out-of-the-box automation features that can be set up in minutes. Email templates builder is smooth, generally easy to use, and can effectively create customer journeys.
In contrast, Klaviyo can be a very complex tool.
However, they do alleviate this fact through some “flows” (Klaviyo terminology for sequence or the automation) that have been designed to be ready to use once synchronized with your e-commerce platform.
However, if you are just looking for a basic level of automation, Mailchimp is enough and provides a comfortable, user-friendly experience. So in the field of Automation, Klaviyo vs Mailchimp, Mailchimp wins.
- A few simple template automations.
- A list of predefined triggers, including welcome new customers, purchase and abandon cart.
- Custom options
- Easy to set up for simple authorization
- E-commerce essentials; welcome sequence, abandoned cart, win back
- Integration with applications such as Facebook Ads.
- Use the visual Flow Builder for detailed “split” personal automation
- “Drag and drop” stream builder
Mailchimp provides simple email automation with a focus on simplifying customer communication.
However, Klaviyo’s diversion process is more detailed and more consistent with e-commerce.
It allows you to create parallel paths for email recipients (all automatically) based on key information such as website activity or past purchase behavior. You can complete all of these operations in one process (for example, abandoned cart reminders).
Mailchimp vs Klaviyo Integrations
Integration is essential for your e-marketing campaigns. They can perform everything from tracking purchases from your website to publishing content on other platforms.
Klaviyo specializes in Shopify but also includes Magento, WOO Commerce, and other platform integrations. Emails can also link to Eventbrite or Facebook, as well as Stripe, Chargebee, and Salesforce.
Although Klaviyo has all the integration options required for a comprehensive email marketing campaign, Mailchimp does much more than that. With more than 200 integrations, Mailchimp can publish to almost any social media account and content management systems such as WordPress and Squarespace.
Both platforms provide powerful integration with third-party tools.
However, Mailchimp recently experienced a “divorce” in Shopify and is no longer in its App Store. Although a workaround is provided to solve this problem, it is certainly not as effective as Klaviyo.
In addition to e-commerce, Mailchimp certainly does not lack integration. In fact, it provides a lot of native integration that should satisfy most users.
With Klaviyo, the A/B function of the campaign will help you optimize content, messaging, and even sending time.
One thing I like is the “flows”, which allows you to click on the metric you want to test. It takes an automated A/B test to a new level. With automation split testing, Klaviyo provides you with two options. With the “conditional split” component, A/B tests a single email in the “flow” and A/B tests different flow branches.
When you A/B test individual emails, you test multiple subject lines, content, and email sender, discounts, among others.
On the other hand, testing different flows allows you to test the timing, number of emails, and the sending cadence.
MailChimp has the same powerful A/B test function. However, your plan on Mailchimp will determine whether you can use this feature. Also, you cannot A/B test the landing page. With a paid plan, you can test your automation. MailChimp provides up to four variables to test, name, subject line, name, content, and sending time.
It is different from Klaviyo’s automated A/B testing, where you can only test a single email in automation.
Klaviyo vs Mailchimp Reporting and Analytics
Reporting and analysis tools are important aspects of lead nurturing. It tells you successful emails and unsuccessful emails. This will show you whether your marketing campaign is effective.
Klaviyo provides in-depth metrics such as emails clicked by users, emails bounced, and unsubscribe rates. It also provides a custom analytics dashboard that can show you the latest status of email marketing campaigns. In addition, there is a very important function, real-time customer monitoring.
It shows what your customers are doing in real-time. It also provides predictive analytics that can be used to track customers to estimate the number of upcoming purchases.
MailChimp can provide basic analysis on the campaign page, which is useful for in-depth understanding and improving email performance. It shows you metrics, such as click-through rate.
You can study the results in more depth to see the performance of the email sequence. Compared with Klaviyo, MailChimp analysis and reporting tools are simple and easy to understand for beginners.
Klaviyo vs Mailchimp Pricing
Price is always an important factor. This is where MailChimp vs Klaviyo gets a point.
MailChimp provides up to 2000 subscribers and up to 12,000 emails for free. You didn’t start paying the same fees as Klaviyo until you attracted 10,801 subscribers.
Klaviyo will cost you a fee of $100 per month at a price of $200 per month. However, they do provide you with a free service that can accommodate up to 250 subscribers or send 500 emails.
With a list of 10,801, you will ask for $350/month.
The first thing about Klaviyo is the free version. It comes with automatic emails, templates, reports, A/B tests and one-click integration. But that is for up to 250 contacts and can send up to 500 emails.
You can see its logo at the bottom, which is a must. Well, for beginners, this is not a deal-breaking thing, but visionary entrepreneurs will not like it when it comes to branding.
Freebies always rank first. Like in this Klaviyo vs Mailchimp review. With Mailchimp, you will get simple templates, no A/B tests, analysis, and dedicated support, and one-click automation. In addition, it can provide up to 2000 subscribers for free. Becomes very important.
Moreover, they have a pay-as-you-go plan, where you can pay points when you need them instead of buying the entire package. In the Klaviyo vs Mailchimp pricing review, Klaviyo pricing comes high to get started.
- Mailchimp opt-in forms are based on lists. If you want to create a new form, you need to create a new list. Klaviyo chooses to join the form based on your wishes. You can create as many forms as you want, and all point to one list or one form per list, or you can point to the forms you want or need.
- If you have tried to contact MailChimp customer support, it may take a few days to resolve the issue. If you use their permanent free plan, you won’t get any support. Klaviyo customer support hours are 9 am to 5 pm Eastern Time. They are a company based in Boston. Their support chat is very easy to find. The support is very fast and very helpful.
What I like about Klaviyo:
- Their list of management enables you to build meaningful relationships with your audience. Klaviyo has in-depth segmentation options based on behaviors, transactions, and events.
- Klaviyo is the first choice for e-commerce email marketing. You will get customizations and personalized settings that will help with the conversion. Especially in-depth integration with Shopify, WooCommerce, and BigCommerce.
- It provides a wide range of pre-built automation features vs Mailchimp that doesn’t, including preset triggers from welcome email series to abandoned cart emails.
- You can create advanced workflows using pre-built automation templates.
- It has the latest reporting and analysis functions and can provide you with everything you need for each contact.
- They have convenient testing functions that allow you to test automation and any other indicators you want to test.
What I like about Mailchimp:
- User-friendly interface, and responsive.
- Hundreds of email and newsletter templates have an easy-to-use built-in drag and drop editor.
- Very affordable for beginners vs Klaviyo pricing.
- It has a large number of one-click CRM integrations that can help you understand important sales drivers.
- It provides a wide range of preset automation features, including preset triggers from welcome email series to abandoned shopping cart emails.
- It provides a simplified report covering all industry baselines, including growth and participation indicators.
- Their email delivery rate is high, which increases the chances of viewers sending their emails to their inboxes.
Klaviyo is specifically designed for e-commerce and eCommerce email marketing. It is deeply integrated with Shopify and provides impressive sales promotion features, such as personalized recommendations and browsing abandoned reminders to get started
Because of this additional level of functionality, Klaviyo does cost more than Mailchimp and may exceed the needs of some small businesses.
Another disadvantage of this added functionality is that the setup can be more complicated than Mailchimp. For small businesses that only need simple mail functions, Klaviyo may be too much. But for businesses looking to optimize and expand their stores, Klaviyo seems to be a good alternative to Mailchimp.